Thursday, March 19, 2009

Something New...

OK...as fun as Purple Prose Thursday was, it was a lot of work. I never seemed to be in the right frame of mind to come up with something good.

So, I'm going to try something new. For months now I've been using my crock pot to cook not all, but most of our meals. Those who swing through the jungle probably remember Janelle blogging about this on Monday.

I'm right there with her. I despise cooking. I have a floorcloth that says, "I kiss better than I cook." But I also like to eat. As does my family. So I use the crockpot more than anything else.

In place of Purple Prose on Thursays, let's do a recipe swap. I'll post something simple. And believe me, if I know how to fix it, it will be simple. And you guys can share some of your favorites if you like.

I shared this recipe on Janelle's blog on Monday, so I'm sorry it's a repeat for some of you, but it's 9:45 on Wednesday night and at this point it's the best I can do.

4 Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of your favorite salsa

Put chicken in the crock pot. Pour salsa over top. Turn on low and cook all day. When you come home you can pull the chicken apart and use it for tacos or fajitas. Add a box of Spanish rice or a can of refried beans and you're good to go.

It's very simple and very yummy.

If you work a regular M-F workweek, only 1 more "get-up." Yay! Hope it's a great day for everyone.

Peace and Love,
Alannah

5 comments:

mslizalou said...

Alannah, do you use boneless or bone in chicken breast? This sounds like such a quick and easy meal. I haven't used my crock pot much in the last few years, but I have a great cookbook or recipes, so I'll post one when I get home from work tonight.

Unknown said...

Hey Liza! I'd love it if you'd share a favorite recipe. I use boneless chicken breasts. And it's funny, because as I read back through this this morning I thought, that's a lot for a single person. So you could could just 1 or 2 chicken breasts and use half the jar of salsa.

It's reaaalllly easy and even my picky 13 year old will eat it. And its healthy, which makes it even better!

Janet said...

Hey, Alannah - read your recipe over in the Jungle on Monday and thought 'I have to try that'. There were some other ones over there that I copy/pasted to try at a later date.

Love the crock pot - and here's my easy peasy recipe:

A box of frozen meatballs (about a 1lb I guess - meat, chicken, whatever)
BBQ sauce (whatever you want - I've found a great one that has maple syrup and apple flavoring)
A little water if it's too thick.

Crank 'er up for 6 or so hours and you have great meatballs to serve over rice (can add carrot and green pepper slices while it cooks), or a perfect filling for hamburger buns, or make it more liquidy and serve over garlic mashed potatoes. I'm sure there are other applications, but that's all I've used this recipe for (oh, and as an appetizer).

Looking forward to reading more recipes.

Janet (recipe slut and proud of it :)

Silver James said...

Here's mine. Not for the crock pot but easy and good dessert:
Sopapilla Cheesecake

These puff like sopapillas and are great for breakfast or as a change from coffee cake! Cinnamon sugar can be made by combining 1 cup sugar to 2 TBS cinnamon.

Ingredients

* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
* 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
* 1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
* 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar

Directions

1. Using a 9 x 13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan.
2. Flatten to edges of pan.
3. Mix together the cream cheese, sugar and extract.
4. Spread over the crescent rolls.
5. Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
6. Pour one stick of melted butter or margarine over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

Unknown said...

oh yum....Silver that sounds wonderful. I do something similar with crescent rolls and apples that need to be used up. I bet the 2 could be combined!

I've got some cream cheese that needs to be used. When I go to the store tomorrow I'll get some crescent rolls and try it and let you know how it works.

Thanks!