Thursday, November 4, 2010

Superman's Sidekick

Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another leads to another? Franny Armstrong was doing an October writing contest, in which the winner would receive "a package of goodies as well as a glossy, 8x10 image of Jimmy Thomas on the cover of Extrasensory Elements Series Book 1-Author's Demise autographed by Jimmy AND Franny!"

Well...being the Jimmy fan that I am, I had to enter this contest! LOL

Below is the story that I entered.

Superman’s Sidekick


“Seriously?” I grumbled, crawling into the passenger seat of my partner, Jimmy’s, red vet. “This is your idea of a comfortable ride? Seven hours of this, I’ll feel like I rode a jack-hammer to Tucson.”

Jimmy grinned and winked.

“I know,” I said, buckling up. “It’s all in how she’s handled.” We’d only been partners a few months, but I’d already learned there was nothing Jimmy couldn’t…handle.

I used to want to be Wonder Woman. Mostly, I’d wanted big boobs, a tiny waist and an invisible plane. But I’d also liked the idea of saving the world. Unfortunately, I hadn’t gotten Wonder Woman’s equipment, and I hadn’t saved the world.

At least not on my own.

Instead, I was Superman’s side-kick, working Security Expert Detail (SExD) for foreign dignitaries. I was pretty sure Jimmy wasn’t really Superman. I suspected some of his abilities had been overstated, and I’d never seen the cape and tights. But he still made a kick-ass partner who had, on occasion, saved the day.

His chocolate gaze turned soft and gooey, and he leaned toward me. “What’s on the plate?” He lifted the foil from my No-Pudge Fudge Brownies, and the fresh baked smell permeated the car’s small interior.

“Fuel,” I said, snatching the plate away. “My fuel. I know you can rock all night. But we mere mortals… sometimes…need an extra boost.”

Jimmy smiled and settled back into his seat. “They’ll be mine before we hit Riverside.”

Yeah, probably. He always got what he wanted.


All of the entries were sent to Franny, who then forwarded them on to Jimmy without names. Even though he didn't KNOW who wrote each story, when he read Superman's Sidekick, he told Franny it had to be mine.

Ahh...that elusive "voice" that I've struggled so hard to find with my current wip!

As a result of that contest, the fun that I had writing that story, and the positive feedback I received on it, I've scrapped the entire manuscript that I've struggld with for the past 18 months.

I'm now using NaNo to re-write my current story in the same first person voice I used on this short story.

Wish me luck! I think I'm gonna need it!! :)

Happy Thursday - only 1 more get-up this week!!
Peace and love,
Alannah

No comments: