Thursday, September 2, 2010

So What Happens When...

Thanks again to everyone who came out and helped me celebrate yesterday. I had way too much fun. No, really...I had way too much fun! LOL

I didn't have time to get a blog post together, and this morning I'm feeling the after-effects of all the celebrations. *grins* So, to keep it simple, I'm going to share with you what's on my mind, and what I'll be doing today.

Most of you know that I'm extremely fortunate and live in eastern North Carolina. My permanent home is in inland about 40 miles, but we also have a river cottage on the Pamlico River, about 3 miles inland from the Pamlico Sound. About 30 miles due east of Cape Hatteras - that's the important marker for all this. LOL

If you don't watch the news on a regular basis you might not know about Earl. A powerful Cat 4 hurricane headed in our direction. The official forecast has it staying about 50 miles off-shore, but this storm is so big I don't think the residents of Hatteras are taking much comfort in that 50 mile cushion.

How does this affect me?

See that beautiful pier? In the past, when a storm has approached and been forecast to hit the coast from the south, we've taken that pier up. It's built in 4' sections, so we start at the end by the big deck, unbolt it, load it on a handtruck, wheel it up to the edge of shore where it's loaded onto a trailer and moved to our back lot across the road.

If we don't do that, and we get it with pounding waves, we lose the pier.

But this is Labor Day weekend, and we don't want to have to spend a full day putting the pier back down. So...SIL, FIL and I, are going down this morning to get the boat and jetski out of the water, secure everything outside, then spend the day tracking the storm.

If it shifts to the west, we'll spend the evening taking up the pier. If it maintains its current track, and really does seem like it's going to stay off-shore, we're going to cross our fingers and hope the water rise in the Pamlico is slow and gentle enough that it comes over the pier without beating against it.

I hope everyone all along the eastern seaboard stays safe with this storm. We've been through enough of them (as many as 2-3 in one year!) to know they can be unpredictable and no fun!

On a side note: Some of you know my hubby has been sick for the past week. As a precaution, they did his MRI 3 weeks early, just to check and make sure everything was okay (He's been having some blurry vision, headaches, nausea). The MRI looked great! They now think it could be the new medicine they've put him on that's making him sick. I just wanted to go ahead and give that update while I was thinking about it.

So what does everyone else have going on?

UPDATE: Pier is now coming up. *sigh* I'll check in tonight when I get back.

Have a great Thursday!!

Peace and love,


Janet said...

First - great news on hubby's MRI. Hopefully, they can get his medication sorted and he'll be feeling better. *fingers crossed*

Second - fingers crossed again that you're all safe and Earl stays well out to sea. I can't imagine going through 2 or 3 a year. We're preparing for his arrival on Saturday morning, but we don't have to worry about piers or boats. Hopefully by the time he gets to us, he'll have downgraded to a tropical storm and it will be just a wind and rain event.

Take care - keep dry :)

Liza said...

Great news on hubby's MRI. Hopefully they can get the meds fixed quickly.

Prayers going out for all in Earl's general path.

Alannah Lynne said...

Another update: Pier stayed down. ROTFL.

Right after we got there, hubby had a seizure (one of his partials). He felt like crap, FIL has a bad knee, SIL and I said, "Fuc# it," and we left it. LOL But the storm has weakened so much, I think it was a good decision.

Janet, I hope it continues to dissipate and doesn't cause any problems your way. I should check in with Lu, 'cause I think they're travelling tomorrow. :( That doesn't seem like it would be a fun trip.

Hope y'all had a great day!