Friday, May 21, 2010

What I'm Reading....



The first book in Nalini Singh's Psy/Changling series is "Slave To Sensation." I'm not sure how I found it, but I absolutely loved that book. I arrived to the series kind of late, so as soon as I finished the first book, I went on a search to find the rest of the series.

She's one of those writers that keeps me in awe, and frustrated because I fear I'll never write like that. Her ability to capture the essence of the changlings (cats and wolves), fascinates me, and keeps me turning the pages deep into the night.

That's why I've been so disappointed that I've had such a hard time getting through Blaze of Memory. A friend told me she'd read, the first book of Singh's she'd read, and that she really didn't like it. I was stunned. I thought my friend was warped in the head. I went straight to B&N and got the book so I'd know whether or not my friend needed to be committed. :)

That was months and months and months ago. In fact, I may have already done a "What I'm Reading" on it, because I've had it for so long.

I think the problem with this book is that it doesn't have a changling as either the hero or the heroine, which causes it to lose a lot of the sensuality that I've loved so much in the other books. In one of the books, I was about 2/3 of the way through when I realized the couple hadn't had sex. But the sensuality of the books is so high, and they'd grown so close, I thought they had.

The Psy are clinical beings - humans who've had their emotions conditioned out of them -- and even though the heroine of this book does have feelings, it's not the same as the changlings. And the hero also has feelings, but he's a cold person who draws strength from metal, so....yeah, not a real warm-fuzzy kind of couple.

Fresh Fiction - which gave the display quote - obviously feels different: "Singh gets better with every book in this unique series."

I'm not giving up, I'll get it through it. Eventually.

Has that ever happened to you? All of a sudden an author that you love throws you a curve ball and leaves you scratching your head, wondering what the hell happened?

I hope it's a fantastic weekend for everyone!!!!
Peace,
Alannah

No comments: