Friday, October 9, 2009

What I'm Reading...

*sigh*

I'm hopeless. It's an affliction and I don't know what to do!!! As you know, I've been working my way through Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series. I had gotten my tbr pile down to 1.

Well, I picked it up and now I can't put the damn thing down. I think this might be my favorite so far. The hero is the extremely wounded Jimmy Nash and I have a thing for wounded heroes. I like to read about them and I love to write about them.

And so, naturally, I've gotten entrenched into this book and have totally neglected my own writing. What's worse. I went to B&N today and got the next 4 in the series!!

See above comment about being hopeless.

Here's the cover and the blurb from her website:


Jimmy Nash has already lived two lives--and he can’t talk about either of them. Formerly an operative of a top secret government agency, he has found a new job with a shadowy company called Troubleshooters, Incorporated. Created by a former Navy SEAL, Troubleshooters, Inc. helps anyone in desperate need--which provides a perfect cover for its other, more perilous objective: covert special operations.

Now Nash and a quickly assembled team of expert operators have come to the earthquake-ravaged country of Kazbekistan in the guise of relief workers. There, amid the dust and death, in a land of blood red sunsets and ancient blood feuds, they must track down a missing laptop computer that may hold secrets vital to national security.

To get it done, Nash does what he does best: break every rule in the book and manipulate those who can help him get what he needs. But this time, Nash may have met his match in Tess Bailey, a Troubleshooters operative with all the right instincts--and zero field experience. The deep attraction between them is immediate... and potentially volatile, with risk at every turn.

Now these two professionals must play out their dangerous games in the world’s most dangerous place-- isolated from their own government, cutting deals with people they can’t trust, and guarding forbidden passions that threaten to compromise their crucial mission.

A full-throttle adventure teamed with heated emotion, Flashpoint proves that Suzanne Brockmann can spin suspense unlike any other author working today.

I really, really loved this book and am sure I'll go back and read it. Probably as soon as I've finished the series (if not before). It was great entertainment as a reader, but as a writer I'm fascinated by her ability to tell a story and get so deep into POV.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!!

Wishing you much peace and love,
Alannah

6 comments:

Janet said...

I am a Suzanne Brockman fanatic. I'm so glad you found the series and are loving the books. As a reader - pure entertainment page after page. As a writer - wow, how does she do that. Her ability to interweave the plot lines and incorporate so many characters, that the reader cares about - not just the h/h - brilliant.

Makes me want to go back and reread the series.

Luanna Stewart said...

Do I have to come down there for an intervention? LOL Surprisingly, I have yet to read one of her books. Even after hearing her speak at a conference and being blown away by her energy. Perhaps I'm afraid of being lured into a world that is, seemingly, impossible to leave, hehe.

Have a fab day!

Unknown said...

Janet, you nailed it! I love all the characters in all the books and am fascinated at how she weaves it all together.

Lu, we'll talk about this in chat (if I can remember) but I strongly recommend reading this series. Especially if you want to write RS. Yes, it is like being sucked into Hotel California. You can never leave. But what I learn from reading these books is invaluable. While I wish I didn't spend so much time reading them and spent more time writing, it's really hard to say it's a waste of time because each one is like a workshop in and of itself.

mslizalou said...

I'm starting Covet by JR Ward. I love her Black Dagger Brotherhood series and am very excited for her Fallen Angel series. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend.

Paula R said...

Hey Alannah, I see you are back at it again. I love Suz's books too. Currently, I have four books that I am making my way through...Covet by J.R. Ward, When Twilight Burn by Colleen Gleason, re-read of Black at Heart by Leslie Parrish, and Lucky Break by Carly Phillips. Talk about being hopeless. I have so much to get done this weekend before family week(end) starting Tuesday. I really don't know how much sleep I am going to get. And, I am writing more too. C'est la vie! Happy reading everyone.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

Unknown said...

I have Covet in my tbr pile too. I picked it up at B&N on Friday while getting the next 4 in the Troubleshooters series.

Just shoot me now!!!! LOL

Hope everyone is having a wonderful, happy weekend!!