Thursday, March 4, 2010

iPod - Let's talk concerts

The first concert I attended was Rod Stewart, when I was a senior in high school. Holy cow! What a great concert that was, and not just because it was my first. I was a huge Rod Stewart fan and he put on one hell of a show. I don't like his soft, mellow stuff, but I loved him in his rocker days!



After that came Rick Springfield (which we've already covered) and Quiet Riot with Twisted Sister (which I just deleted all their songs from my iPod).

About the same time as them was John Cougar Mellancamp. From what I remember of that concert is was awesome!! LOL The thing I remember most about that show was drinking the whole 1 1/2 hour drive, getting there and having to go to the bathroom like I'd never had to go before. We stopped at a Wendy's across from the coliseum and the line for the women's room was out the door.

No line for the men's room. Hmmmm...

By the time Sally and I came out of the men's room, the line had split and the line for the men's room (comprised of women) was now as long as the women's.

This song wasn't out in the 80's when I saw him in concert, but it's my favorite song of his and I play it over and and over.... Peaceful World



A much less peaceful concert was Motley Crue. I was stone cold sober for this concert (and a few years older) and it was so freaking loud I had to cut the filters off cigarettes and put in my ears in order to be able to stand it!



OK...I'm ashamed to admit this, but a concert that I slept through - I know!! - needless to say, alcohol was once again involved, was ZZ Top. However, in my defense...they were kind of boring. The stood and sang. That was it. No light shows, no pyrotechnics. It was like listening to my album.

But the Jeff Healey Band opened up for them and I really, really liked them. Here's the only song of theirs that I have on my iPod...Angel Eyes



The guy I was with said, "Why doesn't he get up and move around at all?"

"Ummm...he's blind!!"

I don't know what ZZ Tops excuse was. :)

There were quite a few country concerts along the way too: Alabama with some no-name newcomer to country music named Clint Black.

George Straight. Reba. Toby Keith
. And, of course, Keith Urban!!

So how about you? What's your favorite concert of all time?

The snow has melted and kidlet is back in school today. Yippee!!!
Hope it's a great day for everyone!

Peace and love,
Alannah

7 comments:

Janet said...

It's like memory lane here every Thursday. Love Rod Stewart and John Cougar Melancamp (loved him back when he was just John Cougar). Need to know why you removed Twisted Sister from your iPod?

Jeff Healey - Canadian, eh!

Damn, now I have "We Ain't Gonna Take It" playing in my head - that'll be there all day, Alannah. Thanks.

Paula R said...

Hey Alannah, I didn't go to many concerts until very late. I know, kinda crazy. The first one I went to was Tina Turner at Radio City Music Hall back in the early 90s. That was a blast. My most memorable was with Reba McEntire, Sara Evans, Jamie O'Neal, Martina McBride and Carolyn Dawn Johnson. It was a blast. I want to go to more concerts though.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

mslizalou said...

Bon Jovi, Jimmy Buffett, and Prince were some of my favorite concerts. Also saw Alanis Morissette when her first cd came out and it was a blast. Elton John was also wonderful and loved when George Strait toured because you got to see so many artist at each show(mine was Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride, Dixie Chicks, and George). Really hope to see Keith Urban this summer when he performs for CMA week.

Paula R said...

Hey Liza, can I come and visit you in TN that week? I have wanted to go to one of those concerts for years now. I found out about them on my winter visits to Music City, and I was so bummed that I couldn't make it out there for the summer concert.

I am on bended knee...begging you please...LOL!!! I hope your day is going well. How was Mamma Mia?

Peace and love,
Paula R.

mslizalou said...

Paula, you are welcome to come visit that week. My house is kind of small, but I can make room. I think it is in early June. The concerts (you have to pay for) are at night and they always have an amazing line-up.

I loved Mamma Mia! It was such a fun play. I have seen the movie about 100 times, but this was my first time to see the play. Hope it comes back next year.

Unknown said...

Well, we all know I'm partial, but Keith Urban is an amazing entertainer! My friend Tammy, the huge Toby Keith fan, was instantly enthralled. He is a great showman and I hope to be able to see him again sometime soon.

I really need to see Mama Mia. I always hear great things about it but I've never seen it. Off to put that on my to do list....

Paula R said...

Liza, seriously! I will check on the dates again and send you an email. Wow!! I think the concerts are in the second week June...I know Reba is headlining with Keith, I think. I will have to check that again.

Alannah, you have got to see Mamma Mia girl! I watch the movie over and over, that's because I think Meryl Streep did such a wonderful job. I fell in love with Greece all over again, so want to go.

Peace and love,
Paula R.